1907-2016 ~ 109 Years of Love of God and Service to our Neighbors
“Saint Ladislaus Parish is a Roman Catholic Christian community which has preserved our heritage and culture since July 15, 1907; and in early 1900 a large number of Hungarians settled in South Norwalk and it soon became necessary to establish a Hungarian Catholic Parish. The first Priest to conduct Hungarian Services was Abbot Victor Kubinyi in St. Joseph’s Church. He was followed by Fr. Francis Goss who became the founding pastor of St Ladislaus Church on July 15, 1907 and continued as Pastor until September 16, 1908. The second Pastor was Fr. Stephen F. Chernitzky from November 26, 1908 until May 12, 1914. Plans were made for building a new Church by architect Odon Lechner who planned and constructed the St. Ladislaus Church in Budapest, of which the Norwalk Church is replica. The cornerstone was laid on November 25, 1909, the church basement was opened for Sunday Mass on November 27, 1910 and the Church was dedicated on June 30, 1912. The third pastor was Fr. Joseph Szabo from May 20, 1914 until October 4, 1917. The forth pastor was Fr. Joseph Degnan from October 4, 1917 until May 31, 1929 and the fifth pastor was Fr. Aloysius Geist from May 31, 1929 until December 21, 1932.
The sixth pastor was Fr. James Lengen from January 20, 1933 until May 26, 1977. During this time the Church was improved and rededicated on June 27, 1937 in conjunction with the 25th anniversary of the Church. The convent on 8 Soundview Avenue was purchased and remodeled and the Sister moved in on October 28, 1939. The Golden Jubilee of the parish was celebrated on July 28, 1957. Ground was broken for the parish social center on October 29, 1961 and it was dedicated on October 6, 1962. Fr. Stephen J. Balint was assigned as Resident Priest on June 26, 1971. The seventh pastor was Fr. Edwin Burke from May 26, 1977 until his death on November 21, 2004. In the fall of 1977, the inside of the rectory was completely renovated and in June 1983 the inside of the Church was renovated to bring it in line with Vatican II. On November 27, 1983, a rededication Mass was celebrated by Bishop Walter W. Curtis. The eighth pastor was Fr. Michael Bachman from January 28, 2005 until March 1, 2015. The restoration of the tabernacle to the middle of the Church in the back on the main altar was completed in November 2005 and the 100th anniversary was celebrated on October 28, 2007 with Bishop William E. Lori as the principal celebrant.
On March 2, 2015, Fr. Juan Gabriel Acosta became the ninth and current Pastor and with it the St. Ladislaus Church is responding now to the new challenges we are facing in the XXI century. As we proceed into the future, we will strive to reach out and welcome our neighbors to become a part of our parish community through worship and spiritual support.
“Lord God, your own Son was delivered into the hands of the wicked, yet he prayed for his persecutors and overcame hatred with the blood of the Cross. Relive the suffering of the innocent victims of war; grant them peace of mind, healing of body, and a renewed faith in your protection and care. Grant this through Christ our Lord.”